Monday, June 20, 2011

My new Love...

I found a new love in New Orleans.
I can't tell you what I loved the most no children, nonsense or clothes to deal with, I just loved it all.  From the jazz played on every street, the delicious food, the architecture in all the houses, the history and then the humbling experience of seeing what Katrina did and the resurrection of greatness.  It is now my new favorite place! 

Let me begin by saying that when we plan a trip I like to stay some place local, not some big name hotel chain.  This place is definitely it, the Lamothe House on Esplanade St..  I will go in detail later, lots to talk about and show.  A perfect place to stay, close enough to the Quarter, but far enough to get some rest...

By far this moment at the cathedral was my all time favorite moment.  The sun was covered up by a cloud, so the picture taking was prime.  Andy and I ran up to the observation deck and snapped a photo when the 12 o'clock bells began to chime.  Directly behind us sits the Mississippi River and a solo saxophone player was playing a tune on the river walk...So perfect and romantic! 

Loved, Loved all the Balconies in the Quarter. 

The famous Bourbon Street.  Lots of sights there ( I'll just leave it at that and let your imagination take you there. Chances are you would be right)  Never the less, Bourbon street is only a tiny part of the great city.

The city park with lots of old oak trees and Spanish moss.  It just makes you want to grab a blanket and lay under them for hours.  Ride the street car and you can get there for $1.25, seniors pay .40 all day!
There are 41 above ground cemetery's they all look very similar to this  Recently they just added below ground burials due to new pumping stations.  Going through the cemetery you literally took a walk back in time, we saw some that were from the 1700's.
The home of JAZZ.  Jazz music is everywhere in the restaurants on the streets and even parades that march wherever they please. 
People in New Orleans do not eat to live, they LIVE to eat. Dieting is not recommended.  Here are a few of my favorites the Muffeletta, this is a whole sandwich.  Make sure you split it with someone

Or how about some beignets and coffee, delish

Don't forget the drinks.  Pat O'Brians invented the Hurricane
But I prefer Lafitte's version better.  They are both great, I just like Lafitte's it has more of a pineapple taste where as Pat's is more fruit punch. 

Or how about a Margarita in Margaritaville

Just a word of warning, the liquor flows freely.  The fruit is about the only coloring in the drinks.  If you are a light drinker, one will do you just fine and you will be buzzing llike a bee.  But if you want 2, they have taxi's everywhere. 
I have so much to tell you that this is only the bumper sticker version.  But I do plan on going back at the end of July and I will be taking the kids. So feel free to join us... 

No comments:

Our Posse

Our Posse