Thursday, August 11, 2011

Lullaby

Two nights ago Katie rolled off the bed and busted her lip. Once the blood and tears stopped I held her in my lap and just snuggled. The 8-year-old and 6-year-old wandered in, carrying instruments.


"Could we play her a lullaby?" they asked quietly. I nodded, and they sat down and hummed "Jesus Loves Me" while their little sister held tightly to my hand.

Then the 6-year-old started, playing his drum, because we all know that "Jesus Loves Me" is much more effective as a lullaby with a loud and driving drum beat.

Then the 8-year-old started playing along on his harmonica. This would've been significantly more impressive if he actually knew how to play a harmonica. His playing messed up the 6-year-old, who stopped right at the "little ones to Him belong part" to whack his brother. The three-year-old was so excited by this exchange that she jumped to her feet and began to sing/shriek along while jumping up and down on her bed. The two boys stopped their fighting, suddenly distracted by the fact that "Jesus" sounds a lot like "Cheez-Its".

The three-year-old continued to jump. The 8-year-old continued to wail on the harmonica. The middle one continued to shriek his hymn to the little orange crackers.

I laughed, and I wondered exactly where I lost my sweet moment.

I laughed harder, and I realized I didn't lose it at all.

Enjoy all the unexpected little moments in your life....

No comments:

Our Posse

Our Posse